The Strength of Weak Ties

Everyone participates. Everyone contributes. Leveraging the power of digital networks to connect people, resources and ideas to drive creativity and innovation forward...and actually accomplish something!

Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Google Maps Street View

From Google Maps Mania-Google has released Google Maps Street View for a selected cities and its amazing. Basically, load up the map, drag an icon to the desired location, and the window associated with the placemark shows a 360 degree panoramic photo of location which you can rotate. Also available are arrows on the streets so you can literally travel virtually down the road. Wow.

Check out one of my favorite cities, Las Vegas.

Those people at Google absolutely rock.

tags: google, googlemaps, streetview, davidjakes

4 Comments:

  • At 12:14 PM , Blogger Alfred Thompson said...

    I have never used Google Earth but Microsoft's Virtual Earth (Local.live.com) has had a feature that sounds a whole lot like this for quite some time. How do the two compare? On local.live.com I often use my Xbox 360 controller to navigate around various cities. Does Google's tool support that interface as well?

     
  • At 1:38 PM , Blogger David said...

    Alfred: I have no idea...I'll have to check it out, but that sounds very cool! Thanks for the contribution.

     
  • At 8:47 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hi David,

    Street View is pretty cool. After reading your post I was trying to figure out how it was done. I came across this post from the Google Earth Blog, I thought you would appreciate it!

     
  • At 9:36 AM , Blogger David said...

    John: thanks for sending the link, and what cool technology! When I read the article about "dodecahedron geometry" I began thinking about how Streetview could be a problem-based activity for a geometry class-show them the site and ask them to apply geometry to figure out how it was done.

    Thanks again.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home